John Alexander: Lifetime North Carolinian. Longtime Community Leader
I’ve lived here my entire life and I work hard to be as involved in our community as I am in my business. I have been married to my wife Susan for 40 years, and we have two daughters: Mary Carroll Dodd, a wife and mother, yoga instructor, and organic farmer in Black Mountain, NC, and Catherine Wilson, a Physical Therapist in Durham. We have four grandchildren.
I am President of Cardinal International Trucks, which began in 1929 and has been in my family since my father bought the company in 1952. The company has 50 employees, many of whom have worked with us for over 25 years.
I am running for re-election because I want to continue making a difference for the people of Wake and Franklin counties in the State Senate. I’m proud of all we’ve done for our economy and our schools, but there’s more work to do. Read more about that here.
I do my best to be as involved in our community as I am in my business. I am a product of Wake County Public Schools and graduated from Broughton High School in 1967. I later graduated from NC State with a degree in Economics. My biggest passion is working with the YMCA of the Triangle, where I have been a member since 1958. I have played an active role in the Alexander Family YMCA in downtown Raleigh, where we’re proud to raise more money than any other YMCA branch in the world for scholarships for adults and children who need a hand up. I was on the YMCA committee that founded the “We Build People Campaign” 25 years ago. We went from raising $28,000 for scholarships to now over $7,000,000. 100% of those funds are used to help children of all ages lead better and more productive lives.
I was proud to receive the prestigious Order of the Long Leaf Pine from Governor Jim Hunt, and to be named Tar Heel of the Week by the News & Observer in 2007. A few other ways I’ve stayed involved in serving our community:
- Wake County Public Schools – Lacy, Daniels, and Broughton, 14 years, PTA Technology Chair
- The Triangle Flight of Honor – Flight Director, taking 824 World War II Vets to Washington to see their Memorial
- NC National Guard – 1969 to 1975
- First Citizens Bank Board of Directors – Director 1990 to Present, Audit Committee Past Chairman
- American Truck Dealers Association -Truck Dealer of the Year
- StepUp Ministry – Supporter and employer of their clients
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce – Membership drive
- NC Railroad Company – Past Director and Assistant Treasurer
- Raleigh Jaycees – Past President and one of Five Outstanding young men in North Carolina
- White Memorial Presbyterian Church – Deacon, Elder, Sunday School Teacher, Stephen Leader, Strategic Planning Committee
- Boys & Girls Club of Wake County – Past Board member
- United Way of Wake County – Campaign Division Chair
- Wake Tech Foundation Board – Was Development Fund Chairman that helped lead a campaign to increase Foundation assets from $6,000 to $2,500,000 and hire the first full time Director. The Foundation provided the first dollars to build the North Campus on Hwy 401N
- Drug Action of Wake County – Board Member and Lead Fund Raiser
- City of Raleigh – Served on the Civil Service Commission
- Raleigh Kiwanis Club – Member and Foundation supporter, Legion of Honor
- The 200 Club – Provide cash to families of fallen and injured officers
- Raleigh Police Memorial Foundation – Board Member, helped raise over $500,000 to build a Memorial to Raleigh’s Police Officers killed while serving our community
- Ducks Unlimited – Life Sponsor